Monday, October 3, 2011

our adoption journey {part 1}...

Awhile back I mentioned that I was going to
write a little about our adoption journey...
I have been thinking about it & in truth
dreading it...I tend to be more of a "private"
person when it comes to my thoughts
 & feelings & I knew that I was going to have
to bear a little of my soul here...& although I
am passionate about adoption, the thought of
"sharing" about "us" on this public blog makes
me a little ill! But I feel like I need to say this!
{too many people don't "quite" understand
& too many assumptions are made about
international adoption}!
 I know adoption is highly
controversial & if you don't believe that-
try adopting :)!But before we begin...


how about some eye candy :)...
{isn't he the sweetest thing ever?!?}
ok - now on to our story...
Actually I am not for sure where to start.
For adoption & me I don't think that there ever
was an "ah-ha" moment. There never was a
beginning or first thought. It has always been in
the back of my mind {I just wasn't for sure
what to make of it!}.
A few people have asked us about our
descision to adopt from China versus the U.S.
or some other area. Well for us we really felt
like HE was calling us to an Asian country,
but we did sort through an entire pile of other options
& started tossing out countries that had rules/regulations
that we could not meet.
 & China ended up being one of the ones left!
& Honestly...we knew our hearts were  called there!
Before you brush this off
as "whatever - they all say that!" {yes-
we've heard that too!:)}. I just want to explain
what exactly that means for us!
Just as I said before about adoption always
being in my heart, so has Asian people &
their culture. {I could say I don't know why -
or I could choose to believe why! HE placed it there!}
growing up I always picked the Indian or Asian dolls,
noticed the Asian children in town & even thought
that Asian men were so attractive :)...
{I can't believe I'm sharing all of this!!- but it is so heavy on my heart!}
Anyhow...E. & I got married...
{which btw...he isn't Asian but I am still attracted to him;)!}
We talked about adoption off & on...
{He was all for it!}
It was something we were open to...
but that was about as far as our discussion would get.
{I should mention that we were & had been
continually bombarded with a sense of racism- which
sounds a little harsh but really in all fairness
any time we think we are superior
 to others- it is racism!-I challenge all of you -me included to examine our
own thought process- I think we all have some racism embedded in us!}.
 We had to wrestle & sort all this out.
We finally came to the conclusion
that this burden we felt for the fatherless
wasn't going to leave us...

part 2 to come when I have a few free minutes :)...
until then...
-did you know that the HIS word mentions
caring for the fatherless, widows & strangers over 60 times!..
{that amazed me!}
-HE is a father to the fatherless...Psalm 68:5

disclaimer: *this is our story & in no way am I saying
this is how it should be :) - you are welcome
to have your own opinions on everything here-
the only thing you can't argue with is scripture :)!

5 comments:

  1. First let me say, your little guy is just adorable, congratulations! I'm so glad you're sharing your adoption journey with us! I'm at the beginning stage of the adoption process and am finding it exciting and daunting at the same time. I look forward to reading more about your experience. Thank you again for sharing! ~ Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a sweet heart - thank you for sharing! I have a hard time truly opening up on my blog, too. However, it is refreshing to hear your story and is encouraging to me to speak up for the truths God has laid on each of our hearts. God is so creative in giving us all different paths. Your little guy is adorable. I can't wait for you to be united!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your story is, and is going to be, very interesting and informative. Even though I'm too old to think about adopting, it's something I wish I would have given more thought to when I was younger. Good for you for following your dreams and HIS plans for you. And that child is adorable. I hope I get to give him a hug!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful your story has started... I can't wait to hear more. Your little guy is just adorable...
    Blessings
    RE

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you all the best as you wait for your little guy to come home.
    We adopted our son from China a year and a half ago and he adds such an excitment to our home that only God could have orchestrated it. Please know that when people make their comments about adoption or going to China your following Gods Heart and He is using you all for His Glory.
    Marla

    ReplyDelete